DVLA Regulations & Licence Changes
Advice to our customers following the abolition of the paper counterpart to the UK photocard licence.
On 8 June 2015, the photocard paper counterpart stopped being a legal document and the DVLA also stopped updating any old style paper licences. All your driving history is now held on the DVLA central computers.
Please watch the following video for their advice.
How will this affect the way you hire a vehicle?
UK driving licence holders hiring within the UK now need to use "Share Driving Licence", the online service from the DVLA, for validation of their driving record.
We are normally able to validate your driving licence on your behalf, but there are some situations where this may not be possible, and we might ask you to generate a 'Check Code'.
If requested, you need to follow this procedure to generate a 'Check Code', without it you will be unable to hire a vehicle.
- Please visit View Driving Licence online and login using the required details.
- Once logged in, using the top navigation, go to 'Share Your Licence Information'.
- Click 'Get Check Code'.
- Click 'View, Print or Save your licence information'.
- You should then save this page and email it to us or upload it as part of your declaration.
- If you are unable to save it, you should copy the 'Check Code' and email it to us instead. - Be careful, it is case sensitive and can only be used once.
- If you have any problems in generating a code, you should call the DVLA on 0300 083 0013 (Monday - Friday 9.00am - 5.00pm) for further assistance.
- This procedure may be required for both photo card driving licences as well as paper driving licences issued before 1998 if we are unable to validate your driving licence.
Non-UK licence holders hiring a vehicle in the UK are unaffected by this change, although all previous rules still apply.
I have an old style driving licence, so does this affect me?
This change is only for the paper counterpart of the two part plastic licence, not to be confused with a paper driving licence issued before 1998. The pre 1998 licence continues to remain valid but, from 8 June 2015, will no longer be updated. Therefore, you will still need to use the "View Driving Licence" service to validate your licence.
How do I gain access to my printed Driving Licence summary?
To obtain your Licence Summary visit View Driving Licence where you can print a PDF. You will need your driving licence number, as well as your National Insurance number and the postcode displayed on your driving licence.
How does this change hiring a vehicle abroad if I hold a UK driving license issued in Great Britain?
You must print a copy of your Licence Summary, obtained from the DVLA, to take with you when driving a vehicle in any of the following countries: Afghanistan, Angola, Austria, Armenia, Bahrain, Balearics, Botswana, Canaries, Croatia, Democratic Republic of Congo, Ireland, Hungary, Libya, Mauritius, Namibia, Oman, Portugal, Slovenia, South Africa, Sweden, and Tunisia.